Understanding the mind of a horse and the way they think is pretty amazing, and try to see through their eye. Actually, this massive animal has a very small brain, and has to be trained, or taught, how to do what you ask of them. Their only way of life is to eat and run; no pun intended, and that is it.
We all heard the cliché, “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks”, and that really applies with the equine world. From birth, they are taught everything, either by their mother or the owner, which instills a memory in their brain. A horse may learn a specific lesson, from repetitive training, and then put out in the pasture for 5 years. After bringing in the horse and to command that lesson, which was taught years ago, they may resist at first, but eventually they will remember. That is the great thing about horses; once they are taught they never really forget. They just have to be reminded.
Teaching a horse to bow is such a challenge, but when accomplished, the result is rewarding. This training consists of repetition and patience, which is the most important for any trainer. Without patience, you will have a bad ending result, and you never want to end on a bad note. Always keep in mind that they are like a child learning how to walk. You guide and protect them every step of the way, and never rush your teachings.
To teach a horse to bow, just place your massive beast against any type of structure that will not give away: barn, fence, garage. I find it easier to use a western saddle for the use of the horn, and you will need a short whip or crop. Have your horse stand against the structure facing the direction that best suits you. Take the rein that is closest to the wall and wrap it around the horn of the saddle. With the other rein, bring it down through their front legs and have it in your hand to pull their head downward. Start tapping on their outside leg; the one closest to you, until they move that leg up. No matter how they move their leg, stop tapping. That is letting them know a cue, which is what this training is all about. Your cues are what is going to make them do exactly what you ask of them. Repeat this pattern until they pick up their leg to the height you want. At this point, start pulling on the rein that is in your hand at the same time you are tapping at their leg. This will bring their head down, and they will start to lean back on their hindquarters. This will teach your equine student to lower their front end, and to think they are going to lie down.
This takes a lot of practice, but the result is worth the wait.
I am not a animal lover at all, but I do find horses to be very interesting. I enjoyed your blog because I don't know much about horses and I found your blog informative. I also like how you are able to have a theme to all your blogs. I can tell you love horses, and I would love to see pictures of your horses in action!
ReplyDeleteI am a horse lover, infact one of my reasons I wanted to move out to Wyoming was to learn how to barrel race. Are you a trainer yourself?
ReplyDeleteYour story is very interesting. I have always loved and wanted a horse, but wasn't raised around them so I don't know much about them. It would be cool to see a picture of your horse while doing this!
ReplyDeleteI love horses! I rode for for about ten years and I completely understand your cliche about not being able to teach an old dog new tricks! I have never sttempted to make a horse bow but after reading this I completely understand the process. I like the way your writing was not only imformative about the bowing, but also about the way a horses mind works. The background information definitely makes your piece more interesting.
ReplyDeleteWow, you definitely know what your talking about. Actually I kind of feel like I do too after reading that. Horses are definitely beautiful creatures, and they are spectacular to watch. Thanks for that post!
ReplyDeleteI'm not an animal lover, but I too find horses majestic. The defined muscles and powerful strength of the animal is amazing, especially since their diet doesn't even consists of meat. I rode a horse once and was both terrified and awed at the experience.
ReplyDelete