Well it is that time of year; putting away all the horse show tack, along with the fancy outfits. The season has ended, but what a wonderful year it was. I am sure this is one of the best times of the year for my show horse. He probably has this calender hidden away somewhere, and marking down the days left of loading and unloading, time to get up early, looking for the day to end. My show horse is named Nugget, and with a partial point of view, he is the best. He shouldn't have to much to complain about, he is the star of the show for goodness sakes. All he has to do is show up; I do all the work. I have to make sure that he has his bath, combed out and then main and tail braided. After hours of that, then I have to put on these real tight coverings to make sure he stays clean and tidy over night. These are called slinky's, and believe me, they do not go on as nice and easy as one would think.
After all that is done, with the main event, then I have to make sure all the tack is clean and loaded up in the trailer. Tack is the term you use for all the equipment like: Saddles, Bridles, Halters, Blankets, lead lines, lunge lines, and all the cleaning supplies, which is another story. When you are showing, there are two different styles to show; Western Pleasure, and Hunter Jumper. So there is two of everything that you need to clean and load. After that is done, then you have to make sure you have all your clean up supplies, just in case there is an accident on the way to the show, and if your precious star has any dropping at the show that need to be cleaned up as well. Then load up enough food for you and your horse, to have a successful day at the show.
So, with all this hustle and bustle to get to a show and try to do the best you can do, the main attraction, the horse, seems to think, they, have it rough. So when the stall door closes at the end of the day, your star attraction stands there, looking exhausted as you unload everything you loaded earlier, put away all the tack and clean up supplies, fold your show clothing, and feed all the animals. Then go into the house and feed your family, get the kids ready for bed, do laundry and put away the dishes.
I love horse shows.
Allot of girls i know like to ride horses and are upsesed with them. Ive never really had the chance to ride one myself, but i think it would be fun. I like this blog and yes the season is definitely over, here comes the snow.
ReplyDeleteThis blog made me think of my sister. She used to show her horse and I never thought about how much work went into it. I knew it was a lot of work to clean the stalls, but I didn't know much more than that. Sure seems like a lot of work, but if you love what you do then it doesn't seem so bad. I tried to ride a horse when I was little and my sister even held the reins, but I got so scared that I was only on it for like 10 seconds. I like horses though :)
ReplyDeleteI remembering riding my first horse in forth grade, I was so scared and cried soo much! That was the very last time I would ride them again! There is a lot involved in doing this, you must really enjoy horses!
ReplyDeleteI have attempted to ride horses many times, but every time I get close enough I chicken out. I am not sure how you do it but I think it is awesome!
ReplyDeleteI have two sisters that want me to buy them horses. We've only been riding once. I'd like to take them again or maybe get them their own. To be honest horses kind of scare me too.
ReplyDeleteThe Fall season seems to bring so many new things that must come to an end: horse shows, college football, and the newness of college courses.
ReplyDelete